Nopales & Black Bean Salad
I first had a Salad with Nopales from Zona Fesca here in South Florida. It’s become one of my favorite things to get there!
Nopales is a type of cactus. The edible part of the cactus is sometimes called prickly pear. It has a moist crunchy texture with a bit of tartness. It can tend to be a bit slimey once cooked similar to okra if not rinsed well. It brings a great texture and flavor component tossed in a salad or you can cook it along with other veggies and beans.
1 Large Head of Romaine Lettuce
1/2 cup Nopales ( I used prepared in a jar from La Costena )
1/3 cup diced Red Onion
1 Ripe Avocado
1 cup Organic Roasted Corn Kernels ( I used frozen)
1 can of Black Beans
1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp of Onion Salt
Hot Sauce to taste
2 Large Radish
3 Corn Tortillas
Salt & Pepper to taste
Lime Wedges for Serving
Cilantro Ranch Dressing
1/2 cup Cilantro
1/3 cup of Vegan Ranch Dressing ( I used Follow Your Heart)
1 Tbsp Vegan Sour Cream
2 tsp of Lime Juice
1 Tbsp of Water
1. Wash and Chop the Romaine Lettuce and either add it to a large bowl or to two individual plates
2. Add the diced Onion, rinsed Nopales Cactus that has been roughly chopped, Radish and Avocado
3. Heat up the Corn until warm and add it to the Salad
4. Rinse and drain the Black Beans and cook it with the Garlic Powder, Onion Salt and Hot Sauce until heated through. Add it to each serving of Salad
5. Spray each Tortilla with a bit of cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Cut them into strips and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes until crispy. Use to top the Salad with.
6. To make the dressing, combine the Ranch Dressing, Vegan Sour Cream, Cilantro, Lime Juice, Salt & Pepper to taste and a bit of Water to thin if necessary. Blend it together until well mixed and creamy.