Carrot Lox & Veggie Cream Cheese
So Carrot Lox was something I took a long time to finally come around and try. While the process can be a little painstaking, if you miss Lox then this recipe is really worth the effort. Veggie Cream Cheese naturally goes great so there’s a recipe for that here too.
Recipe inspired by Olives For Dinner
4 Medium - Large Carrots unpeeled
Box of Course or Kosher Salt (2 1/2 cups)
2 Nori Sheets
2 tsps of Liquid Smoke
1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar or Coconut Vinegar
1 Tbsp Grapeseed or Olive Oil
1 tsp of Dill
Veggie Cream Cheese
Container of Vegan Cream Cheese
1/2 small Carrot peeled and chopped
Green Onion sliced thin
1/3 of a Cucumber chopped
2 Radish chopped
Directons for Cream Cheese
Chop all the vegetables into small pieces
Mix them into room temperature Cream Cheese
Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving
1. Wash but do not peel the carrots
2. Wrap two of the Carrots in a Sheet of Nori (this is optional but will add more of a from the sea flavor to the finished Lox)
3. In a large baking dish, use about 1 cup of the salt to cover the bottom.
4. Place the Carrots on top making sure they aren’t touching the dish and using the rest of the Salt completely cover them
5. Bake at 375 for 1 hour and 1/2. When they come out of the oven turn them over onto a baking sheet to cool
6. Once cool enough to handle Remove the Nori and Salt and then peel the Carrots. Try to get as much of the skin off but leaving a little is ok.
7. Using a sharp knife or mandolin if you have one, cut the Carrots into very thin strips.
8. Mix up the marinade with the Liquid Smoke, Oil, Vinegar and Dill and cover the the Carrot strips. Refrigerate for at least 24 hrs but I found the flavor to be better after two days
9. Serve with Bagels, Veggie Cream Cheese, Tomato, Red Onion, Capers and Fresh Dill