Sweet and Sour Chicken
Even though this was a favorite dish of mine as a non vegan I don’t think I ever attempted to make it at home until now. It’s even easier and better than I could have hoped for because it’s all natural, delicous and Vegan! The Sweet and Sour sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. You can try it on any Vegan protein such as Seitan or Tofu. I happened to have used smoked Vegan Drumsticks.
2 Packages of All Vegetarian Inc’s Smoked Drumsticks
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Small Onion
1 can of Organic Pineapple Chunks ( I used Native Forrest from Edward and Sons) You can certainly use fresh Pineapple
2 Green Onions
Served with Organic Jasmine Rice
Sweet & Sour Sauce
1/2 cup Organic Light Brown Sugar
1 cup Pineapple Juice
1/2 cup Rice Vinegar ( I like Marukan)
1/3 cup Organic Ketchp
1 Tbsp of Light Soy Sauce or Tamari ( I use San-J)
1 Tbsp of Organic Cornstarch
2 Tbssp of Water
1. Mix all the ingredients together except the water & cornstarch and bring them to a boil on med - high heat.
2. Once boiling, lower the heat a bit and add a slurry made by mixing the water and cornstarch together.
3. Conitnue to cook the mixture for about 10 minutes until it has reduced a little and thickened up.
4. If making it ahead, let it cool before refrigerating. If you are making it during the cooking process let it simmer on very low heat until ready to use.
1. In a cast iron skillet or non stick pan, brown the Chicken Drumsticks and set aside.
2. In the same pan, sauté the Onions and Peppers for about 5-8 minutes.
3. Add in the Pineapple chunks and continue to cook on med heat.
4. Add the browned Chicken to the pan and let cook for a few minutes before adding in the Sweet and Sour Sauce
5. Add in the cut Green Onions (reserve some of the green tips for garnish) and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes until heated through
6. Serve with Rice