Ropa Vieja in spanish literally translates to ‘Old Clothes”!! Lol It’s one of the most common dishes in Cuba that is typically made with Flank Steak in a Tomato Base but I veganized it very easily using Jackfruit.
It’s easy to make and very flavorful. Usually served with Black Beans, White Rice and Sweet Plantains.
1 can of Young Jackfruit in Brine ( I really like Nature’s Charm )
1 small can of Tomato Sauce
2 Garlic Cloves
1/2 small Onion
1 small Red Pepper (you can use both Red and Green)
Handful of chopped Cilantro ( about a 1/3 cup)
1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar ( I like Bragg)
1/4 - 1/3 cup Water
For the Marinade
1 tsp of Garlic Powder
1 tsp of Onion Powder
1 tsp of Cumin
1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp of Light Tamari or Soy Sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. The night before, using your hands and break apart the Jackfruit until it has a string like texture and there are no chunks. Mix in the ingredients for the marinade and massage them into the Jakfruit. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
2. To cook the Ropa Vieja, add a little bit of oil to a pan and brown the Jackfruit as much as possible and set aside.
3. In the same pan, sauté the Onion and Peppers until the onions are translucent. Add in the chopped Garlic and continue to cook on med-low heat for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the browned Jackfruit, Apple Cider Vinegar, chopped CIilantro and the Tomato Sauce. Turn down the heat and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
5. If the mixture seems to be drying out, add in the Water as needed.
6. Check for seasoning ( Salt & Pepper) and serve with Black Beans and Rice.
Note: The dish is typically served with Sweet Plantains but I omitted it in this recipe.