Baby Potato Gratins
What’s better than melty cheesy Potatoes? Nothing!! Ok, there’s lots of stuff but these Potatoes are pretty epic comfort food. They’re easy to make and would really pair well with any dish or enjoyed all on their own. I used Organic Baby Potaotes but you can certainly make these with regular Potatoes. Any type will work but avoid Russets. This recipe makes enough for 2 servings but can easily be doubled to feed more.
10 Baby Organic Potatoes
2/3 cup Unsweetened Plant Milk ( I like Cashew)
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese ( I like Follow Your Heart & Violife brands)
1 Tbsp of Vegan Butter
1 Tbsp of All Purpose Flour
1 tsp of Fresh Thyme
1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp of Onion Powder
1 heaping tsp of Grain or Sharp Mustard
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. In a large pan, on medium- low heat completely melt the butter. Add in the Flour and use a whisk to mix well until all the liquid is absorbed.
2. Add in the Plant Milk and keep whisking until the roux or butter- flour mixture has completely dissolved.
3. Add in the herbs and spices and keep mixing for a minute or two before adding in the shredded Cheese.
4. Keep whisking everything as the Cheese melts and becomes velvety smooth. (If you find the sauce a little thick just add in a bit more milk.) Add in the Mustard and mix well. Lower the heat to a simmer.
5. Slice the Potatoes very thin and toss them into the cheese sauce making sure they are coated well.
6. Pour the coated Potatoes into two individual baking dishes or one larger one
7. Cover with foil and Bake at 375 for 45 minutes
8. Remove foil and broil at 375 for an additional 10-15 minutes until nicely browned
9. Garnish with additional fresh Thyme leaves