Apple Oat Crumble
Is it a crumble or a crisp? It has fruit on the bottom and is topped with a mix of Oats, Date Sugar, Vegan Butter and Cinnamon on top … you decide what to call it. I’ll be over here inhaling it! This is one of the easiest and most versatile desserts to make. You can use stone fruits such as Plums and Peaches or fresh Berries in the summer and Apples and Pears in the fall. Serving with a scoop of Vanilla Ice cream is highly recommended!
Serves 4 - 6
6 Large Apples (I like to mix up the sweetness, so I used 2 Granny Smith, 2 Honey Crisp and 2 Gala)
1/2 cup Date or Coconut Palm Sugar ( these are less processed and have a lower glycemic index)
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 tsp of Cinnamon
1/4 tsp of Nutmeg
1 tsp of Cornstarch
Pinch of Salt
1/2 cup Rolled Oats
Just under a 1/2 cup Oats that have been blended into flour (you can use your food processor or just use Oat Flour)
1/2 cup Date or Coconut Palm Sugar
3 Tbsp of Vegan Butter ( keep cold)
1/2 tsp of Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt
1. Combine the ingredients for the tpping together except the Butter and set aside.
2. Peel and chop the Apples and place them in a large bowl with the Lemon Juice
3. Toss the apples with the Cinnaom, Sugar, Salt and Cornstarch until well coated.
4. Add the cold butter into the topping mix and using your hands squeze the Butter into the Oats and Flour until you have small pea size pieces.
5. Pour the apples into a large baking dish and then sprinkle the Oat mixture onto the top
6. Cover with foil and Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 20 more minutes until nicely browned.