Mushroom & Asparagus Risotto
I always forget how much I love a creamy bowl of Risotto and just how easy it is to make.
1 cup Arborio Rice
3 1/2 cups of low sodium Vegetable Broth
2 Tbsp of Earth Balance Vegan Butter
1/3 cup finely chopped Onion
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 cup Sliced Mushrooms
1 cup Chopped Asparagus
2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan ( I like Follow your Heart & Violife)
1/2 tsp of Thyme
1/2 tsp of Tarragon
Pepper to taste
Tip: Feel free to use fresh or frozen veggies. Blanche the frozen in hot water or sauté the fresh before adding them to the Risotto
Also if you would like to use White Wine, add a 1/2 cup to the rice, onion and garlic mixture before adding any broth.
1. Heat the Vegetable broth to just under a boil
2. In a separate wide bottom pan, sauté the Onion and Garlic in the Butter until onions are translucent.
2. Add in the dry uncooked Arborio Rice and make sure to coat it with the butter. (the rice will become a bit transparent when coated with the butter)
3. Cook the Onions, Garlic anad Rice on med low heat making sure to continuously mix it for about 2-3 minutes
4. Laddle in about a 1/2 cup of the Vegetable Broth at a time into the rice mixture and mix well.
5. Once the liquid is almost completely absorbed add another 1/2 cup of broth and mix well. Repeat this process until almost all of the Vegetable Broth has been used.
6. Add in the cooked Mushrooms & Asparagus and continue to mix and cook for about 10 -15 minutes. Add in any of the unused Broth during this time.
7. Add in the grated Vegan Parmesan and continue to mix and cook for another 5-8 minutes until rice is completely cooked and creamy.
8. Serve with chopped fresh Parsley and more Parm.