Harissa Eggplant & Chic Pea Stew
This is a really easy stew to make. It has great flavor and texture. The addition of Harissa (Moroccan Roasted Red Pepper sauce) really gives it a yummy flavor. It will go great served over Rice, Quinoa or Couscous.
Serves 4 - 6
1 med - large Eggplant
2 cans of Chic Peas
1 Small Onion
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 can of Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp of Date Syrup
1 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp of Grape Seed Oil (for roasting the Eggplant)
1 tsp of Corriander
1 tsp of Cumin Powder
1 tsp of Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper (or more to taste)
6 Tbsp of Mild Harissa ( I use Mina brand)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Handful of Fresh Parsley
1. Cut the Eggplant into smallish cubes. Lightly drizzle with oil and season with salt & pepper. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until the Eggplant is nicely browned.
2. While the Eggplant is in the oven, sauté the Onion and Garlic until the Onions are translucent.
3. Add in the spices, Harissa and Fire Roasted Tomatoes and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add the rinsed Chic Peas, Date Syrup and Tomato Sauce and simmer for another 10 minutes
5. Add in the Roasted Eggplant and Lemon Juice and stir well. Cover and let simmer for 10 -15 minutes on low heat
6. Add in fresh chopped Parsley before serving